Sunday, March 8, 2015

Movie Monday: Secretly Greatly

So, this past weekend I was crying over my inability to not watch "The Technicians" aka "The Con Artists" aka 기술자들 on Dramafever this past Saturday. Because of (1) my lack of funds and (2) my serious lack of funds. Basically another action-esque movie about thieves, action and chaos. The movie came out late 2014 in Korea, and early 2015 for some other countries, and was then released for a limited time on Dramafever. While I was crying over my serious lack of Kim Woo-bin and Lee Hyun-woo in my life, the tears subsided as I stumbled upon the k-movie, "Secretly, Greatly". I would not consider myself a Korean movie connoisseur nor a movie expert, but "Secretly, Greatly" was pretty darn good.


"Secretly, Greatly" (its Worldwide English title) is about a North Korean spy named Won Ryu-hwan. He was sent to live secretly in South Korea as a spy, for several years as a village idiot named Dong-gu. He is joined later by Rhee Hae-rang and Rhee Hae-jin, who were comrades from North Korea, sent to live in South Korea as well, as a rock star and a high school student (respectively). The sudden shift in activity with the placement of his comrades as well as other major incidents, lots of action ensues. I will not divulge any more information about the movie in case someone reading this wants to watch it, which I highly suggest.



The movie was fantastic! It had the perfect amount of heartwarming feels, combined with an intriguing plot line, great acting, and on the edge action scenes. The movie stars Kim Soo-hyun, who perfectly transitions from the goofy, not-so-bright Dong-gu to a savant spy within seconds. His acting and character portrayal was pretty fantastic! It also stars Park Ki-woong as Hae-rang, and Lee Hyun-woo as Hae-jin.The movie not only satisfied my secret love for a good action movie, but it also had a really good plot which kept me watching.

After watching the movie I wanted to see what others had to say about it online, and got distracted when I found out that it was based off a webcomic called "Covertness" by Hun. I then used my nerd power and internet saavy to look it up. I have not yet had the chance to get my hands on a copy of the books or read it online. But, from my experience where the originals are always better than the movie versions, I am expecting great things.

If anyone else has seen "Secretly, Greatly" feel free to comment with your opinions, and if you have read the original by Hun please tell me what it is like! I would love to hear from anyone if they are reading this post. And if you want to watch the movie, as of now (March 2015) they have it on Dramafever, so you can watch it for free!! (p.s. if you have watched "The Technicians" as well tell me how it was!)

No comments:

Post a Comment